Over 600,000 social employees attempt day by day to make a constructive impression on the lives of others. In the event you’re obsessed with serving to people, households, organizations, and communities, a profession in social work could be best for you. Social employees discover themselves serving to folks from all walks of life in quite a lot of atmospheres from colleges to hospitals to prisons to nursing houses and deal with casework, coverage evaluation, analysis, counseling, and instructing. They take care of points equivalent to poverty, abuse, habit, unemployment, demise, divorce, and bodily sickness. If a profession swap to social work appeals to you, following is a short background of social work fundamentals and the way to make a clean transition.
Profession Outlook: Based on the U.S. Division of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), the social work career is predicted to develop by 30% by 2010 and is predicted to develop sooner than common for all occupations by means of 2014.
Median Annual Earnings for Social Staff (U.S., 2004)
• Baby, Household, And College Social Staff: $34,820
• Medical And Public Well being Social Staff: $40,080
• Psychological Well being And Substance Abuse Social Staff: $33,920
• All Different Social Staff: $39,440
Schooling Necessities: All social employees will need to have a bachelors (BSW), masters (MSW), or doctoral diploma (DSW or Ph.D.) and full a predetermined variety of hours in supervised fieldwork. Social employees additionally must graduate from a program accredited by the Council on Social Work Schooling (CSWE). The CSWE reviews that in 2004 there have been 442 BSW packages and 168 MSW packages. Whereas some folks work with solely a BSW, profession choices are extra restricted, so the MSW or DSW is extra widespread.
• BSW: Accredited BSW packages sometimes take 4 years to finish and require 400 hours of supervised subject expertise. With a BSW, a graduate can work in an entry-level place, equivalent to a caseworker.
• MSW: An MSW requires two years of research and has a prerequisite of an undergraduate diploma in social work, psychology, or an analogous subject. An MSW permits a social employee to work in a medical setting to diagnose and deal with psychological issues.
• DSW: A doctoral diploma takes wherever from Four-7 years. A DSW has intensive coaching in remedy and analysis and is certified to show in a college setting.
In the event you lack the tutorial or skilled background, an affiliate’s diploma could also be an excellent place to begin to see if you happen to’re prepared to make the required instructional dedication.
For info concerning accredited social work packages, go to the Council on Social Work Schooling’s web site: 30 ceus for nurses
Licensing and Exams: Social employees have to be licensed. For licensing functions, every state has its personal necessities, however an MSW is normally a minimal. As well as, licensing requires 2 years or three,000 hours of supervised medical expertise.
After finishing faculty and hour necessities, social work candidates should cross an examination. The Affiliation of Social Work Boards (ASWB) develops and maintains 4 classes of social work licensure examinations: Bachelors, Masters, Superior Generalist, and Scientific. Candidates ought to verify with particular person boards to seek out out which examinations are acceptable for the jurisdiction the place they wish to be licensed.
Based on the ASWB’s web site:
“Every examination incorporates 170 four-option a number of selection questions designed to measure minimal competencies at 4 classes of follow. Solely 150 of the 170 gadgets are scored; the remaining 20 questions are “pretest” gadgets included to measure their effectiveness as gadgets on future examinations. These pretest gadgets are scattered randomly all through the examination. Candidates have 4 hours to finish the check, which is run electronically.”
Persevering with Schooling: As a part of renewing licenses each two years, nearly all states require persevering with training (CE) programs. Every state’s CE necessities differ in variety of hours and permitted programs, so remember to verify with the board over your jurisdiction to be sure you are in compliance with CE necessities.
Kinds of Licenses: There are a number of completely different sorts of licenses out there:
L.C.S.W. (or A.C.S.W., L.C.S., L.I.C.S.W., C.S.W.)
The licensed medical social employee has a graduate tutorial diploma, has accomplished supervised medical work expertise and has handed a national- or state-certified licensing examination. This superior practitioner holds a license that permits her or him to obtain health-care insurance coverage reimbursements. (Nationwide Affiliation of Social Staff)
SSW: College social work is a specialised space of follow throughout the broad subject of the social work career. College social employees convey distinctive data and expertise to the varsity system and the coed companies staff. College social employees are instrumental in furthering the aim of the colleges: to offer a setting for instructing, studying, and for the attainment of competence and confidence. College social employees are employed by faculty districts to reinforce the district’s means to fulfill its tutorial mission, particularly the place house, faculty and neighborhood collaboration is the important thing to attaining that mission. (College Social Work Affiliation of America)
Different specialties and certifications, provided by the Nationwide Affiliation of Social Staff, embody:
• Academy of Licensed Social Staff (ACSW)
• Certified Scientific Social Employee (QCSW)
• Diplomate in Scientific Social Work (DCSW)
• Licensed Scientific Alcohol, Tobacco and Different Medication Social Employee (C-CATODSW)
• Licensed Superior Kids, Youth, and Household Social Employee (C-ACYFSW)
• Licensed Kids, Youth, and Household Social Employee (C-CYFSW)
• Licensed Superior Social Work Case Supervisor (C-ASWCM)
• Licensed Social Work Case Supervisor (C-SWCM)
• Licensed Social Employee in Well being Care (C-SWHC)
• Licensed College Social Work Specialist (C-SSWS)